Friday, 20 February 2009

A Happy Accident and a RAK


This card does not look quite the way I had intended, but I think I like it all the more for it! I have been itching to get this gorgeous background stamp, Baroque since seeing some inspiring cards using it for the "emerging colour" technique. But, I was in too much of a hurry to jump straight into that, and decided to have a play with my markers first. Straight out of the box. Without cleaning it. And, this was the serendipitous result! Somewhere below is my tutorial on solid stamps, where I explain that the manufacturing process can leave a residue that stops the ink from clinging well to the rubber, and that a thorough cleaning will do wonders. Well, this is what happens when you don't clean a new stamp! It's not often a mistake turns into a pleasing result, but I instantly realised that I couldn't achieve such an authentic sanded/distressed look even if I tried, and decided to go ahead and use the panel for my card.


I've used Night of Navy cardstock base, stamped with Sanded background in Night of Navy ink


Then I trimmed down the Whisper White Baroque panel to fit on a mat of Rose Red, and adhered these layers to the base.


Next I added some bands, white taffeta ribbon and a metal edge square tag topped with a 1 1/4" punched square, stamped with the Thanks and flower from the Live your Dreams set, popped up with Stampin Dimensionals.


Finally I added a few tiny half back pearls, not sure about those though, so they may come off later :)


So, who else has a tale of Happy Stampin Accident to tell? There's a RAK in it for my favourite story posted here as a comment, I'll choose next week.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy weekend!

3 comments:

Lynda S said...

Love the hints and tips Michelle...thanks so much. My happy Stampin accident was going to a SU workshop and discovering I enjoyed stamping A WHOLE lot more than I thought I would....LOL

SIB said...

Oh yes, I do remember an out of control card session that sent me down an unanticipated path! My plan was to stamp a cluster of three swirly stem and flower impressions from the Friendships Bloom set onto card stock and then to place a big, bold, beautifully-stamped (big flower stamp from same set), cut-out (stamped on Whisper White card stock) and raised flower over the small background flowers of the swirly stem image to obscure them, thus creating the impression that the stamped stems were coming out from under the big flower. However, I misaligned the positioning of the swirly stamp (argh!) because, as I discovered, I hadn't orientated the stamp on the block correctly (argh again!!). So I decided to stamp the swirly stem and flower image all over the card instead and to randomly place many cut-out and raised flowers of different sizes (again using the stamps in the same set), over the small stamped flowers in the background to obscure them. To my surprise and relief, the result was a wonderful lei of flowers and stems and no-one would ever have known that I had not used a typical background stamp to create such a lovely card!

~Col~ said...

That turned out lovely Michelle! Probably the best stampin accident that I've had is when I dropped the stamp after inking it and it landed perfectly in the right spot. Would never happen again! LOL!! Now if you ask for some stampin disasters, I've got some for you!! Keep up the great work!