Sunday 25 April 2010

Top Note Cottage Wall Quilt Card

This one I love! It's one of the cards I made at the e2c retreat late one night. I had seen some examples of using the Top Note die as a base for a pieced paper quilt, but this is my first go. I wanted to work with the gorgeous Cottage Wall Designer Series Papers from the Autumn/Winter Mini catalogue. These papers co-ordinate perfectly with the Cottage Garden stamp set, and the colours are Rich Razzleberry, one of our new In Colours, Orchid Opulence, Old Olive and Whisper White.


The first step was to cut 1 1/2" squares of the paper. Being double sided, there is a great mix of patterns, it was much easier than getting things to look good with fabrics! I also added some cardstock squares, but cut from an embossed panel made with the Manhattan flower embossing folder, for some textural interest. I glued these to a cardstock base slightly larger than the finished top-note die, and then cut the shape on the Big Shot machine. The stitched look around the edge is part of the die, so it really does look like quilting. I added some more faux stitching with my white gel pen.


The card base is Rich Razzleberry, and I stamped all over in Razzleberry ink using one of the smaller stamps in the Cottage Garden stamp set. Then I attached the quilted top note. I stamped more of the flowers and butterflies from the Cottage Garden set onto Whisper White cardstock and cut them out, layering them over the Quilt. To finish, I added the sentiment from the stamp set cut out with the Wide Oval punch.


Hope you like it too, I'm keen to make a real scrap quilt out of scraps of various patterned papers.

No comments: